Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Flash Fiction Winner Amber Barber - 7th grade

The burning is so painful, breaking ribs would be better than this. The burning wasn't stopping. It was supposed to stop. Wasn't it? Trying to speak, more pain came over her like a blanket.


"W-where...am...I-I?"


More pain. I can't bear it much longer! Everywhere just hurts with excruciating pain. The bright white light blinding her as she tried to move then the world went black.


"Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change," Was the last thing that was said to her when she was normal.


2 YEARS LATER


"Sitting on the paper and a bed...again." Rebecca mumbled. Remembering was the worst.


"Good afternoon Miss. Clearwater how was your day?"


"Good." Just up to the part when I walked in here.


"Alrighty then lets get started, so you still can't remember what happened October 31st?"


"Nope, just know what you told me."


"So you don't remember getting in the car? Driving with your parents to your grandparents house? Not even the simmi that hit you?"


"Nope" Thanks for being so gentle about it though.


Looking down not remembering how she got her right arm and left leg removed just to be replaced with metal was something no one on Earth could imagine. Later on they told her it was just an experiment, that she wasn't supposed to live was even worse.


"Like I said hundreds of times I only remember the pain of waking up."


"Alrighty then, so all of your attachments are in good condition," looking at his notes, "I do however want to look at your control panel" said Doctor Black moving in his swivel chair to Rebecca's back. The slight tug of the back of my head didn't hurt, but I still wasn't used to it.


"Nothing out of the ordinary but...ah there we go is that better Miss.Clearwater?"


A small sentence came across my vision that said "retina eyesight improvement'


"Yes"


Doctor Black can walk a very fine line of polite and rude. Doctor Black gave me a pat on the back and then swiveled back around to finish up.


"I would like to ask you something very serious Miss.Clearwater, the government ask me to ask you for permission to make more cybors like yourself. If you say yes then you will be saving people from losing their legs, arms, or other body parts, you may even save some lives, but......if not then you will be saving them from, what you personally think of a living burden, becoming a cyborg."


"WHAT!! Why would I have to give permission, NO, never in my life would I have chosen this life. Do you know the stairs I get from people, how awful it is to be able to take my limbs from my own body! I would rather die than be a cyborg! NO, NO, NO."


"Alright jezz, okay calm down I'll say you said no."


I ran out of there as fast as I could. This would be a great time to cry. but I don't have tear ducts, however, I can blush and I felt the heat rising up to my face. After slamming the door to my 2 bedroom apartment I noticed something out of the ordinary.


I thought I closed my bedroom door?


White letters filled my vision '3 heat sources found inside a range of 20 feet...15 feet...10 feet' I didn't know what to do '7 feet' but my network told me to turn around '5 feet' and run the other way. Just as I was turning to open my door the worst pain shot through my back and to ground rushed to meet me.


"......coming to wake up in a minute."


I was on the floor and mentally checking for injuries. 'Arms and legs restrained, zapped by 100 volts, unconscious for 3 hours, 28 minute and 46 seconds.'


"What are we going to do after?" the mysterious voice said again.


"I dunno, let's just wait until we get the answer we need." Another voice.


I opened my eyes. My sensors were blocked by something, probably to far underground to get a signal. So I don't know where I am, what these crazy people want, or how I am going to escape.


"Ah-Miss.Clearwater what a pleasure for you to join us."


"No, no a pleasure would be for you to let me go."


"O, you can go whenever you like as long as you give permission for us to make more cyborgs."


"Why do you want permission to make more monsters, and aren't you the government or something do whatever you want, just leave me out of it."


"Sorry no can do, see I would love to make more cyborgs, but we need a cyborgs permission and signituar to make it official. We need someone who is experienced with cyborg parts. I would go get another cyborg, but your the first of your kind."


"No. Absolutely not"


"I hoped you'd say that! Keep zapping her until she gives in."


A short bald, smiling, man comes up with a taser.


What do I do? What do I do?


BANG.


Heat rushed over her. It burned her some of her human skin.


Great just great.


"GET AWAY FROM HER"


Pop-Pop.


White letters filled her already smoky vision 'grenade, gunshots, 2 bullets, gun identification: 22.'


Trying to see what was going on and trying to undo restraints isn't the easiest this I've ever done. Wheezing in and out, coughing from the smoke I felt the rope fall and slowly crawled to a window.


Strong hands grabbed me pulling me up I made my move to defend myself, a 50 per mile fast puch, when I heard metal on metal. I looked up and saw a metal hand press firmly against her punch. Another cyborg.


____________________________________________________________
Minor formatting. Story appears as submitted by the author, unedited.

No comments:

Post a Comment