Friday, November 2, 2018

Flash Fiction Winner Brianna Pollard - 7th Grade

Nowhere to Run


There is no way to escape. There is no way to escape from being tied up to this metal stake, in the middle of a burn pile. I took a desperate look around, for anything. My neck locked mid-swing sending a shot of pain through my neck, once I comprehend what I had seen, a shot of pain tore through my heart. Camdon stood there with a blank look on his face, holding the lighter. Let me back up.


Just like any other day, I was walking to the training center. I was from the eighth generation of people. Of Monsters. I'm not the kind you're thinking of, at least not all of the time. That's why I'm going to the training center. Only mistakes go there. Only I go there. I am different, I have changed. She is waiting, the monster is waiting, the psychopath is waiting. She has control over me. She is Ms. Marybeth Tinning.


"What's taking you so long? Don't make me use the pillow and add your body to the rest of your siblings!"


"I'm sorry, mother. I was not trying to anger you. Please forgive me." I said these things with as much contempt as my weak body could muster.


"I will forgive you, just finish by tomorrow."


There is no way that I can possibly finish these by tomorrow. If I don't, she will kill me the same way she killed all the others who dared disobey her. The same way she killed the family that I had. I had no choice but to work all night, and into the next day. Then she came, like whirlwind of hatred, pure hatred. She began to yell at me before she even checked to see the wonderful work I had lost sleep over.


"You incompetent rat! What have you been doing all this time? Sleeping, no doubt about it. You are entirely, and utterly useless. Where is the incomplete project that you have for me?"


"I have it all done ma'am if you'll look,"


"You useless lier, if it is all done then show me."


I walked towards the cold metal table in the middle of the room, and remove the cloth that had been covering the dead man. The autopsy project had been my assignment, and I had completed it in time. As the monster that served as my mother approached the autopsy table, I knew that she could see the precise V incision on the man's chest. The wonderful incision on the side of his head in order to remove the bullet that had been so deeply embedded in his brain.


"Wow for once in your life you actually completed something. Of course, the autopsy might be completed, but your incisions are sloppy and jagged."


"My incisions are perfectly fine, and you know it. the only thing sloppy here is your, your..."


"Is my what?"


"I apologize for speaking out of turn, if my cuts are not good enough for you, then kill me and find someone else to do this."


"I can't find someone else because no one else knows what to do."


"You cant get ride of me because I know things that you need, I get it now. I am important to you, I am important to your survival. It is too bad you never really connected with me. Then I might stay."


"Why wouldn't you stay, and where would you go?"


"I would not stay because there is nothing here for me to stay for. It's not like my mother cares for me as a child and not as a science experiment. Yes, I've found out about what you did to me as an innocent baby, yes I know. I would get as far away from here as possible. As far away from you as possible." little did she know that I had a gun, friends, and an escape plan.


"Please don't leave I can change, I will start to love you just don't leave me here all alone."


"You and I both know that's not true. As soon as I would begin to trust you the slightest bit, you would stab me in the back, literally, and physically. There will be no changing on your part, we both know this. You always have, and will always be a monster."


"Well, if that's how you feel, then I have no choice but to put you into isolation."


She really does know the best way to punish me. She knows how I hate to be alone. She isn't even really my mother, she's my donor. She donated the ingredient for my life. She did so for one child in each generation. I am different, I have known this for my entire life, yet only now did it dawn on me as to why. I've noticed how my sheets end up torn in the morning, I've noticed how the monitors take a step back away from me. I've observed how the others in my generation cower at the very sight of my shadow. I was a mistake, I came from the birthing pods this way, but worse. She would not let them kill me off, sweet right?


Wrong. She wanted me alive for experimentation. She wanted to find out what made me different, there were no others that had the same malfunction as I do. No matter how many tests, or how much research, there was no reasoning for the way I am. There's no explanation, I am a cold-blooded, sick, psychopathic murderer. And She is my next victim...


I've head it's not unusual for violent parents to get murdered by their abused children, but I am far past abuse.


Twelve Hours Later...


Crouched there next to my mother's cold dead body, something I had read quite some time ago resurfaced in my mind, "Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change." This isn't the end of my story, but the beginning.


____________________________________________________________
Minor formatting. Story appears as submitted by the author, unedited.

No comments:

Post a Comment