Monday, January 30, 2017

Pokémon Go



On the doorstep of the seven-month anniversary of Pokémon Go, I’m moved to ask, “Are you still playing?” I loyally was, you see, until the middle of December. That’s when an update began causing the app to immediately crash. Seeking help through online forums was only met with dismay. The remedy, if it can even be labeled as such, delete and reinstall the game.

Thanks, but no thanks. Not that I hadn’t experienced moments of intrigue during the long treks to hunt for Psyduck and Growlithe. It was the thought of having to duplicate all that hard work amassed as one season changed to the next. Too many miles had been logged to simply revert back to Level 1. Too many Pidgey. Too many Weedle. Too many Caterpie.

Holding out hope that the next update would magically fix the ‘bug’ and revert the system to normal, I waited and waited some more. When the day arrived, fingers were crossed and a lucky rabbit’s foot might’ve even been rubbed. It was not meant to be, however. And so, I now live on vicariously through a coworker, Ms. Terrie Bickel, who continues collecting Pikachu for the rest of us. She was kind enough to share some of her story.

Approximately how long have you been playing?
Since August of 2016.

What prompted the decision to download Pokémon Go?
I was on a trip to Turkey Run State Park with family and two of my nephews were playing the game. Once my son saw how much fun they were having he asked to put the app on my phone. These days, I do the walking and he hatches the eggs.

About how much time do you invest in the game per week?
Approximately 1.5 hours.

What level are you currently on?
Level 21.

Do you have a favorite Pokémon?
Charmander, Squirtle, and Butterfree.

Which of your Pokémon has the highest CP?
Rhydon at 1745.

What’s the reason you continue to play?
It gets me walking!

Have a Pokémon Go story to pass along? Share it with us here at the Bremen Public Library!

This musing is brought to you courtesy of YA Librarian, Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment