Monday, May 21, 2018

Johanna's Picks -- Music

Looking for some toe-tapping music recommendations? YA volunteer Johanna has you covered.

Here are 5 selections that make the top of her list and why they deserve such high accolades.



Ultraviolence by Lana Del Rey


If you can imagine a character in a post-apocalyptic world (much like Katniss Everdeen), then you can imagine these songs playing all the time in the background. I wouldn’t say these songs are depressing. I would use “melancholy” for a description – they tell of a teenage summer that gives people nostalgia.

21 by Adele


These songs resonate, especially with a strong bass stereo. My favorite is song #1, Rolling in the Deep. You can see why this description is so short – there doesn’t have to be an explanation. It’s Adele.

Greatest Hits by ABBA


These songs give nostalgia, too, but it’s not the normal kind of nostalgia where it’s fun for 4 seconds and then you’re sad. It’s the Happy, Fun Times, Oh It’s Gone But That’s Okay, type of nostalgia. 5/5 stars.

Boston by Boston


The old songs all have a special place in my heart. I was so excited when The Guardians of the Galaxy came out, so my friends could get into my music.

Blown Away by Carrie Underwood


Not a lot of people enjoy songs that give story, and usually I'm one of those people. However, this album is strong with story, and it works! My favorites are "Good Girl", "Two Black Cadillacs," and – of course – "Blown Away."

No comments:

Post a Comment